Projects

The Old Tramshed, Kingston Upon Thames

Working

Tony Leitch Prize for Townscape 2010 award

A dilapidated local landmark has been restored to its former glory to the acclaim of the Kingston Society who presented the Tony Leitch Prize for Townscape 2010 award in recognition of the buildings contribution to enhancing Kingston. Potter & Holmes Architects has transformed Kingston tram sub-station into the offices of a media and graphic design agency.

129-133 London Road was rebuilt in 1906 as one of the first sub-stations to electrify the horse drawn trams operating in London. Four planning applications taking 2 years to approve, consultation with English Heritage, archaeological investigations and building regulations approval paved the way for sixty seven weeks of construction. This saw the building refurbished to include a contemporary rear wing and penthouse office.

Masonry walls were repaired and tied back to a new steel frame supporting new concrete floors and internal walls. Windows were renewed to match existing but improve thermal insulation. A new lift and stairs were part of measures to make the building fully accessible.

This hitherto scruffy eyesore is once more a gracious element of the historic townscape adjoining the town centre as well as an important generator of local employment and contributor to the area’s wealth.

BD article

Tony Leitch Prize for Townscape 2010 award

Project details

Client

Normand Developments

Start date

June 2009

Completion date

June 2010

Gross Internal Floor Area

400sqm

Construction cost

£500,000

Project partners

Matrix 24 Ltd
Broadhursts
Museum of London

Transformation of a dilapidated electricity sub-station that once helped power the London tram network