Ambler Children’s Centre
- Sector: Community & Education
- Client: Islington Council
- Location: Finsbury Park, London
- Construction Cost: £1.2million
- Size: 1000 sq.m
- Status: Completed
For this project we designed an extension for the school that would provide 60 nursery places and refurbished an existing Victorian building so that it could be used for extended day services, as well as community and outreach facilities. The design carefully links separate areas with defined uses, to ensure a seamless transition from early years’ up to primary school. The spaces have been created for maximum flexibility. The team can now control the lighting to suit the sleeping patterns of the younger children and there are covered external play spaces, which are both key aspects for the client’s educational programme.
- Added substantial insulation and incorporating underfloor heating reduces the environmental impact and energy consumption.
- Deep overhangs minimise heat loss in winter and solar gain in summer.
- Used sustainably sourced timber cladding.